Information for Physicians
Thank you for referring your patients to us. We are happy to help in any way possible.
A few things to keep in mind:
- For hospitalized patients or patients in the Emergency Department at NWH, the Division of Dermatology has on-call coverage which rotates among the affilated dermatologists. Please call the NWH page operator at 617-243-6000 and page the dermatologist on call.
- If you are a MGB physician, you can also request an e-Consult by placing the order in Epic. This will be answered by the on-call physician in a timely manner.
- For urgent consultations with Drs. Jones or Scanlon, please call our office at 617-969-0210 and explain the circumstances. Unfortunately, we are not able to accomodate walk-ins. We make every effort to see patients in a timely fashion through our cancellation list and scheduled add-on slots.
- For routine consultations, please ask the patient to call our office to schedule an appointment. Feel free to contact Drs. Jones or Scanlon through Epic, by phone or via secure MGB email to pass on any important information. If this is an urgent request, Epic and phone are the best ways to contact us. We have access to all records in MGB Epic. Other medical records can be forwarded by mail or fax if needed.
- If referring a patient for a surgical procedure, such as excision of a previously biopsied growth, please notify the office so that we can verify pathology and schedule an appropriate amount of time for the visit.
- Please keep in mind that insurance plans do not cover removal of skin tags, seborrheic keratoses or any other cosmetic services. These services are billed as cosmetic procedures, and are out of pocket for the patient.
- We prepare notes for all patient visits and enter these in MGB Epic, typically on the same day as the visit. We are happy to discuss our findings through Epic, by phone or by secure email.